Sunday, April 24, 2016

Soundtrack for a Life Rebuilding

    Hawaiians have a wonderful expression for what many of us call "shooting the breeze". Hawaiians are fond of saying that they sit around "talking story". And that expression captures the essence of what is to be human. After all, what do we have, what is it that we actually possess as we weave our way through the journey of life?

    All we really have is our story, and our connections with those for whom we have feelings. Everything else is "stuff". And believe me, stuff, regardless of how much, how big, or how valuable, is inconsequential.

   When unfortunately we are called upon to learn the language of loss, in my opinion the most difficult language there is to learn, it is my experience that we come to understand better the value of our story, the stories of those we know, and our connections with others.  I have written down much of my story, some in the form of these essays, some in short story or poetry format, and some in the form of a couple of novella-length stories. In doing so, I have also undertaken to understand the stories of my friends and family who have been kind enough to rally around me during my time of grieving. In doing so, I have discovered that I truly love to hear peoples' stories. There is something valuable to learn in each and every one. So I really want to hear your stories, if I have not already, and again if I have.

    While I have been grieving, there have been 3 things that have sustained me.  The first and foremost, of course is the wonderful (damn, now I am getting weepy), people who have stayed close:friends and family, from whom I have learned the love of story and the immense value of conversation. The second is my love of music, which has helped me through some of the worst minefields of grief. And a third is a new and interesting fondness for cooking and food. I guess we could call this a hobby. But these are the things that keep me wanting to get up in the morning, even in the darkest frames of mind.

   So to my friends, my family and all those who have helped me traverse this time of sadness and periodic despair, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.  And to the universe I thank you for all the beauty you provide: the art, the music, the literature, the architecture, the ideas....

   I am instituting a new feature today on this blog.  I will call it "The Soundtrack of a Life Rebuilding".  Every so often I will list 10 songs that have provided inspiration, solace, needed tears, and much more.  So here it is, and cheers: have a wonderful week!

The Soundtrack of a Life Rebuilding - Set 1

1) Sittin' on Top of the World - Richard Shindell - South of Delia
2) Take it Down (John Hiatt) - The Wailin' Jennies - 40 Days
3) Symphony #2 - The Lark Ascending - Ralph Vaughan Williams
4) Don't Go - Tania Maria - The Best of Tania Maria
5) If You Were For Me - Rose Cousins - If You Were For Me
6) Dimming of the Day - Alison Krauss and Union Station - Paper Airplane
7) Paper Aeroplane - Kasey Chambers - Wayward Angel
8) I Don't Know Why - Shawn Colvin - Fat City
9) Street Life - The Crusaders - Street Life
10) Build Me Up From Bones - Sarah Jarosz - Build Me Up from Bones

MPC:04-24-2016




No comments:

Post a Comment