Tuesday, June 7, 2016

The Land of Loss

     And so today I have a poem for you.  It has occurred to me recently that the focus of grief has shifted, and I dwell less on the pain of loss and more on what a future for myself might look like. I think this is a positive step, remembering that no healing process is ever a straight line.  But for you, my family and friends who have been such a blessing to me, please take comfort that the healing has begun in earnest....

The Land of Loss 

I am a denizen of the land of loss
   A place I have come to know too well.
A place of sorrow, a place of pain
   A horrid place in which to dwell.
Where the fallen leaf is more highly prized
   Than those still brimming with life.

One may not travel to this dark land
   But that the transit must be paid
With broken heart and yearning soul
   And anguished mind thus made
By a departing loved one
   Snatched away by life’s indifference.

We come to know this wretched place
   and we learn to speak its tongue.
Down the ladder we descend
   To its very bottom rung.
To ascend again may ne’re come to be
   Consigned we are to its darkness.

But time does pass and truth does out
   As we grieve our love’s demise.
And we slowly learn each passing day
   That our spirits will slowly rise.
We cannot dwell in darkness till
   Our time on earth is done.

There is a piece of each of us
   That will forever bear the hurt
The stain of loss a scarlet symbol
    That we cannot then avert
But may we each learn to make
   Our own wreckage into art.

And send it back to those we love
   whose lives we may still touch
and in doing so our time down here
   we can come to value such
that we may help those new ones

    who come here after us.

No comments:

Post a Comment